09 May 2016

Glancing Back, Going Forward

I threw out my back in December. It was excruciating. I considered, seriously, taking pain pills ‒ an extreme measure for me ‒ even though I am nursing: square the extremism. I am not a stranger to pain and I will take a lot of it without complaint and without drugs. (When a knife went all the way through my hand, I took 4 ibuprofen. When I went all the way through 44.5 hours of unrelenting labor, much of it posterior labor, I took no pain pills (or liquids, or gases, or crystals, or ... any such material).)
   This back situation had me helpless and immobile. I nursed while on the floor, through clenching, wracking spasms. I thought through how to pee while immobile, too (thank goodness we had all those diapers in the house!?).

Perhaps you remember my post in January about my appointment to see a Physical Therapist for some Movement Reeducation? Well ... I went.

It was demoralizing. 

I chose not to see that therapist again. In my habit of autodidactism, I took matters into my own hands. I discovered Katy Bowman. She is the best new person to have "happened" to me this year. I am now "a Katy Bowman freak", in the words of Bjorn. Katy Bowman, demi-goddess of biomechanics. Katy Bowman, life changer. Katy Bowman, Katy Bowman.
   I have only begun my movement reeducation. I am happy. The shape of my life is changing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry your back has given you so much trouble J. I hope it continues to improve. -lf

    ReplyDelete