27 February 2016

history: pluperfected?

A week ago I went to a play in which my niece Taz had several parts. Many family gathered for the big event. Of them all, my brother-in-law alone waited to give me company back home (I took 10 minutes to feed Sylvan after the show; it ended at his nursing hour). On our walk home we had a good chance to converse anent Cabbages and Kings. He spoke of something he's reading, and I learned about historical materialism and historical ideology. He mentioned that History, The Subject (presented, as it is, in ideological terms) had not been compelling or coherent to him, and how that might resolve. 
   How resonant with my experience! More, it spoke to an open question in the forefront of my mind. I have been trying (recently and with some concentration) to articulate, approach, and solve how History and I have historically not clicked. Moremore, it presented a door to solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment